Friday, July 8, 2011

Ode to a Second Rate Author

So, I had an author tell me today that he didn't need to try to perfect spelling or grammar, since all publishers have an editing department and that is what editors are for. He left me absolutely speechless. I wish him all the best, but does anyone else feel that way?

I expect my authors to try to turn in an A+ paper for publication, to do their very best and work with me to make it the best it can be. He turned in a C- paper and expects me to set aside time and make a supreme effort to transform it by myself. My favorite thing about selecting works and authors on Gypsy Shadow is finding people who want to become expert wordcrafters.

We are privileged to have people from all walks of life submitting their manuscripts, doing their darnedest to produce well-written stories and working to promote them on the Internet, at bookstores, at fantasy, sci-fi and writer's conventions as well as in their hometowns. My experience today made me want to thank each of you all over again for being 'my' authors and gracing Gypsy Shadow Publishing with your integrity and diligence.

If you are a reader, please stop by, read a few excerpts and pick something out!



3 comments:

  1. Absolutely, authors should strive to make their work as error-free and grammatically correct as possible. Things are different these days. I have noticed that, these days, authors should try to submit manuscripts as print-ready as possible. This is why I suggest to many writers and aspiring authors that they have their work edited. If you can't afford editing services, keep looking to see if you can get a better deal, a freebie edit or at least to have another writer read it. This can help immensely and increase a writer's chances of getting their work accepted. Also, any writer serious about their career would do well to care about fixing typos and mistakes. It just makes them look more professional. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since publication, I've been surprised at the number of people I've met who feel that way. Notice, I said, people. Not writers. They feel they should be able to just throw something on paper and submit it. It's crazy.

    You'd never approach another profession without study, learning, and practice. And doing your best. It's amazing that somehow that shouldn't apply to writing?

    Someone serious about a career as an author will be willing to do what's necessary to polish their work until it shines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! I am so glad you feel the same way I do. I find a consensus among actual writing professionals - a willingness to become word-crafters. The language is taking a beating with all the abbreviations and misuse of terms, so we are the ones who carry the torch for communication.

    ReplyDelete

Hello from Texas, USA. Please leave a comment!